Sunday, September 14, 2014

9/14/14

     Hello, classmates and teachers. This week has been a great week, filled with both learning and fun. One aspect of this week was that I was able to make connections between my American Studies class and my American Literature class. I was able to do this through the paper I am writing for American literature.
     In American Studies, we learned how the enslavement of the African people was very different from any other enslavement in history. It was much worse. In most cases of slavery, a person became a slave because of an extreme circumstance. These circumstances are if the person owes a debt to another person, if the person committed a crime and was punished with slavery, or if they were a prisoner of war. In all of these cases, a person's term as a slave had an expiration date. A person was only a slave until they had worked of their debt, served their punishment, or a ransom had been paid to free them. During the enslavement of the African people, people were captured and enslaved in mass to be shipped to the Americas for the purpose of preforming labor without a salary. The end of a person’s time as a slavery only ended when the person died. During their slavery, they were not even treated as a human.
     In American literature, I am using this knowledge to compare the two different kinds of slavery. It feels good to be able to apply the knowledge I have gained in school to something else.
                                                                                                                Sterling

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, we sure did learn a lot, Sterling.
    But how do you feel about what you learned? How did you feel about Jefferson as a person? How do you feel about the slaves being treated like a food item (it can go bad after awhile)? And it does feel good to be able to apply knowledge, it makes me feel well.. more knowledgeable!

    ReplyDelete