Hello again, fellow people of WIHI. This past week of school has seemed somewhat uneventful to me. This is probably due to the fact that I went on a Church retreat over the weekend, dividing the two weeks into what seems like months. It is interesting how my brain does this to me at times. My feelings on this topic probably contribute to my desire to join the physiology enrichment, once its members begin to meet. Is anyone else planing to join? I think that it will be fun.
Moving back to class, as you know, we have mainly focused on studying various pictures and political cartoons. I think that it is amazing how deeply we can analyze a single picture. I did not think that it was possible to incorporate so much symbolism into a drawing. Also as a political cartoon, this sort of thing was released on a regular bases. Maybe these cartoons only seem so complicated to me because I was not alive when the cartoon was created, and was therefor not able to keep up with the latest events. Not existing generally makes these things difficult.
In American Literature, we have been looking for symbolism in a different kind of document as we have been analyzing poetry. Poetry is another thing that I can not believe how much symbolism is included in. The forethought required to give a hidden message and make the word rhyme or fit a specific pattern, is probably more than I can comprehend at my current level of education. Poets are crazy. I sometimes wonder weather the poets who have written some of these poems actually meant to include the symbolism or if they wrote it subconsciously or complexly on accident.
Also in American Literature, we are presenting our own analysis on different poems. I am somewhat nervous, as I have not analyzed or presented many poems in my life. I fear that I will not do very well. I plan on presenting tomorrow, and I hope it goes well.
I hope that this long weekend will finally give me a chance to work on the many projects that I have been working on, both for school and for fun. I have been very busy over the past few weeks, and I need some time to catch up and relax.
Not only in poetry and pictures,it's amazing to see the kind of connotations that have been developed since English became a language. The crow symbolizes death and a heart symbolizes love. Sometimes especially with poetry and pictures, we believe there needs to be a deeper meaning to all of it. This causes us to over analyze a piece and then we kill ourselves trying to find a meaning, where there might not be any.
ReplyDeleteI find that cartoons can be very effective ways of getting a point across clearly. Cartoons are entertaining and are things that are enjoyed by all people and thus, it is easy for someone to get a point across to a lot of people. Good work!
ReplyDelete